Multiple agencies are studying and making recommendations regarding aging and driving. Age alone is not an indicator that your driving skills are impaired. With age we experience changes in physical abilities along with vision and slowed processing abilities. Decline in overall function happens at different rates for different people.
Common Warning signs that you should consider a driving evaluation include:
- Forgetting where you are going or needing more help than usual with directions
- Getting lost in familiar areas
- Hitting Curbs
- Dents and scrapes on your car
- Driving inappropriate speeds (usually slower than traffic)
- Getting honked at frequently
- Driving out of your lane
- Confusing gas/brake
- Accidents or near misses
- Others questioning your ability to drive safely
If any of the above symptoms are affecting your ability to drive your vehicle, be sure to have a conversation with your physician about possible treatments and a potential referral to see a driving rehab specialist. Auto adaptive equipment and/or techniques may be recommended to increase function and safety.
At the Driver Rehabilitation Center of Excellence, our mission is to provide you with the highest quality individualized services, so that together we will find the best solution to meet your unique driving and community mobility needs. Our goal is to maximize your independence allowing you to reach your greatest potential.
- Buying a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle? You MUST Know This First!January 29, 2024 - 3:05 pm
- Towing with Your Wheelchair Accessible VehicleFebruary 28, 2024 - 12:43 pm
- Blink and You’d Miss Them! Installation Highlight: Sure Grip Featherlite Push/Rock with Brake Lock and A Spinner KnobJuly 28, 2023 - 3:22 pm
- Professional network promoting excellence in the field of driver rehabilitationApril 5, 2022 - 3:42 pm